Sunday, August 22, 2010

Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes

I've been in carb denial over the past 3 weeks and I woke up this morning craving pancakes.  Rarely do I reach for something sweet in the morning, not even sugar in the coffee, so this was an urge I didn't want to pass up.  However, trying to defeat my love of all things white flour, I went for a whole wheat alternative and it turns out white flour is for suckers.  Two silver dollar pancakes later, I am filled to the brim with fiber packed goodness.

Here's the recipe:

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp packed brown sugar
6 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
6 tbsp fat free Greek yogurt
1 egg
1 + 1/4 cup 2% milk

Sift the dry ingredients together first (just add the brown sugar after sifting), make a well in the center of the dry mix and add the egg, applesauce and yogurt. Using a hand mixer or a whisk, begin to add the milk, 1 cup to start and then the remaining as needed to thin out the batter (use up to 1.5 cups if necessary).

In a non-stick pan, melt 1 tbsp butter over medium heat.  When bubbles start to form in the butter, add 1/2 a soup ladle of batter to make small sized pancakes, more if you like large rounds. The pancakes are ready to flip when the bubbles that have formed in the batter begin to pop.  The edges will be browned from the butter and the second side will take less time than the first.  When making pancakes, I use my Le Crueset covered casserole dish to store the pancakes and keep them warm while I cook the remaining batter.

This mix is a great with accompaniments! I added rinsed blueberries to mine but bananas and walnuts would be delicious or chocolate chip pancakes.  Nutella anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment