Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Finish it up Fudge

So, two nights ago, I made one of my favorite meals of all time.  My friends and I are frequent visitors to a well known Richmond Vietnamese restaurant, Da Lat and I have developed an healthy addiction to #42 - no noodles, all veggies. #42 happens to be a noodle bowl topped with pork and shrimp and it is fan-can't say it enough-tastic!  Lucky for me, my brother is dating a foodie that knows what gifts go straight to my heart.  For my birthday she gave me a great cookbook that, much to my surprise, had the recipe for this Vietnamese treat.  Now, I am who I am in the kitchen so modifications were made but, without the book, I would have never guessed how to make the marinade. More on that later. The recipe called for sweetened condensed milk and as an added bonus when the dish was done, I had leftover. And as a girl with a husband who is always up for sweets, I tried to think of what's quick and easy and uses up leftovers in the pantry. Drum roll please......Fudge!  Here's what I did:
2/3's can sweetened condensed milk (little can)
1 and 1/3 - 16 oz package of semi sweet chocolate
1 tsp vanilla
8 oz milk chocolate toffee bits
coarse grain salt
In a double boiler, or a glass bowl atop a sauce pan with about two inches boiling water, melt down the chocolate.  Remove from heat and keep stirring.  Slowly add in the condensed milk and vanilla while stirring. Add half the toffee bits to the chocolate mixture and combine.

Smooth the mixture into a baking dish and top with the remaining toffee bits and a sprinkle of coarse grain salt. I used an 8"x8" ceramic baking dish lined with wax paper for easy removal.  Here's the sweet, crunchy, indulgent finished product.  I could almost bite the screen....

No comments:

Post a Comment